Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Intuitive Children

I received an email from a parent asking how she can best help her intuitive child. I get requests like this a lot, so I thought it would be good to address it here. Your child might be psychic if he/she:

Can guess your thoughts
Feels your mood even when you're pretending otherwise
Is very sympathetic -- especially to other children and animals
Likes to play by themselves
Has a great imagination
Asks deep questions
Experiences vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares
Loves to be in nature
Talks about angels
Sees faces at night
Is very artistic
Dislikes crowds
Feels different from others

If your child is intuitive, what can you do? Read and learn about intuition. I've included a list of recommended books and websites below. Teach them about the chakras in a child friendly way. My children are very intuitive, so one thing I've done is cut out felt squares in the colors of the chakras. At bedtime, I'll put the colors on their corresponding chakras and have them breathe in the colors. Then I tell them to picture their body as a big traffic light with seven lights -- red, orange, yellow, green, light blue, dark blue and purple. And I tell them to turn their lights down for the night. John Holland has a great chapter about doing something like this with kids in his new book Spirit Whisperer. http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Whisperer-Chronicles-Medium/dp/1401922872/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268880176&sr=8-1

Teach your kids how to put white light around themselves each morning before school so they don't take on other people's "stuff" throughout their day. But the most important thing you can do is this: BELIEVE THEM. When they're scared at night, believe them. When they say they feel funny and they don't know why, just believe them. Don't tell them to go to bed, that it's just the wind, that there's no such thing as monsters. They don't have the words, the experiences, that we do. So to them, anything scary is a monster.

Personally, I let my children sleep with the light on when they're scared. I know all too well what it's like to be woken up by "something" in my room. And I know, for some reason, that when I have my light on, I'm not woken up at night. I also bought a rose quartz night light for each of their rooms. I put four tumbled rose quartz under the four points of their mattress to anchor the room in love. I placed amethyst pyramids under their beds to raise the vibration in the room. We also made dream catchers last summer and, because we're Catholic, we've also made rosary beads that hang on their bed posts. All of these things have ensured that my little ones now sleep through the night (for the most part!).

It's important to listen to your child's intuitive experiences without encouraging them. I've seen too many parents who are fascinated by their child's ability to the point that they almost encourage more experiences. It's a fine line to walk, but your child still needs to feel "normal;" they shouldn't be encouraged to spend too much time discussing or thinking about their abilities or they won't stay grounded. If your child is intuitive, it's the same thing as having a child with artistic or athletic abilities. You send them to art class and sign them up for soccer, but that's it. It doesn't consume your life or become their identity.

As they enter the teen years, encourage them to volunteer and give back. I believe the only reason why we have intuitive abilities is to help others. It's a service, so it's important to foster this early on.

These are some good books to check out:

The Highly Intuitive Child – Catherine Crawford

The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children – Doreen Virtue

The Crystal Children – Doreen Virtue

Raising Intuitive Children – Caron Goode and Tara Peterson

Psychic Kids – Lynne Gallagher

Children of the Now – Meg Blackburn Losey

And here are some good web sites:

www.psykids.net

www.peeksgroup.com

www.childrenofthenewearth.com

www.intuitiveparenting.wordpress.com

www.placeoflight.net



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for including our website, www.placeoflight.net on your blog. Sonia Choquette also has a remarkable book, The Wise Child, and Caron Goode has a second book: Kids Who See Ghosts. We also have a book, Soulful Parenting, which goes from conception through adolescence for those who wish to raise their children so that they do not forget their intuitive abilities.

    Susan Gale

    ReplyDelete