Monday, March 8, 2010

Full Circle

Today I had two very difficult readings. One involved a man who recently lost his son, and the other was a son who'd recently lost his father. I notice that my readings follow patterns like this all the time. One week, all my readings involved victims of sexual abuse. Another week, all my clients were going through a divorce. One time, I had a day with clients who were all in recovery. I'm not sure why this happens, but I think it's another reason why "coincidences" are so important. If we just follow the signs that coincidences leave us, we'll find our way every time.

But the readings I did today reminded me that life can be hard and unfair. Why should a father have to lose his young son? Why should a teenager have to go through life without the guidance of his father? I wish I knew. All I can do as the medium is provide validation that these men are on the other side, happy and still able to see what's going on. There are no simple answers, no clear path to happiness. I think all we can do is hold on to the hope that we will see our loved ones again and surrender to the mystery that is this life we all have to lead.

In high school, one of my favorite teachers was the kindest, oldest nun I'd ever known. Her name was Sister Elaine and she taught Trigonometry. Math has never been my friend, and so that semester I haunted Sister Elaine after school. "I don't even know what sin, cos, tan mean, sister. How am I going to pass this test?" She'd sigh wearily and explain it to me again. I remember one day, she patted my back and said, "Just ask your guardian angel for help." Finally, after one particularly frustrating afternoon, she turned to me and said, "Samantha, stop asking why. Sometimes we just have to follow the formula." That remains the best advice I've ever received.

I don't know why my clients today have to endure the grief they're living with every day, but I do believe, sincerely trust, that one day all will be revealed to us. Until then, all we can do is follow the formula of our life which, for me anyway, is FAITH + TRUST + SURRENDER = PEACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment