Thursday, December 29, 2011

Would You Want Martha Stewart As a Friend?

I did a reading yesterday for a woman who said, "I don't really know why I'm getting a reading.  Everything is perfect in my life.  I love everything about my life.  I'm happy in my marriage, my job, I have great friends."  And I thought, "Me think she doth protest too much."   But I understand where she's coming from because I'm a reformed perfectionist.  Maybe some of you reading this are too.  It's not easy being a perfectionist, and we have to ask ourselves, "Who are we being perfect for?"  Because in all reality, no one likes a perfect person.  I mean, really, would you want Martha Stewart to be your friend?  Would you feel comfortable having her over for dinner?  None of us wants a perfect friend.  So why do we so often try to be viewed as perfect?

There is no need to be perfect or to be seen as perfect.  That is not nor should it be our goal in life.  Drop any illusions you have of needing to be seen as perfectly happy, perfectly beautiful, perfectly wealthy, perfect, perfect, perfect.  It's exhausting!

Why do we tear down people in our society who are viewed as perfect?  Why are Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Anniston on the cover of magazines every week with terrible titles like "Angelina off to rehab" or "Nanny tells all and it isn't pretty" and "Jenn still pines for Brad."  Because we know they're not perfect. We know that the image Hollywood presents to us is fake, and sometimes it's a relief to see this proven so.  It reminds us that none of us is perfect.  None us gets out of life with a free and easy pass.  That knowledge comforts us in our difficult times and reminds us that we don't have to be perfect, and that's okay.

People trust and like people who are real and honest and genuine.  And in all truth you are perfect just the way you are.  Really.  We are, each of us, on our path, working our goals and life lessons and dealing with the trials and tribulations of life's ups and downs.  We are doing the best we can, and that's perfection.  We are all okay just as we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment