Thursday, July 7, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness III

This is a great story anonymously posted in Random Acts of Kindness about forgiveness and learning to forgive ourselves:

I went back to Vietnam last year.  I'm not really sure why I went -- it just seemed important that I go.  When I think about it now,  I think I went back to try to find something that I had lost there 23 years ago.  It was a very strange trip, very disorienting.  So much had changed and so much was exactly as it had been.  I was there for five days, and most of the time I just wandered around in a fog -- to places where I had spent time, places I had fought.  On the last day, I was taking a cab to the airport, and the taxi driver started talking to me.  He obviously knew I was American, and he asked me if I had fought in Vietnam.  When I said yes, I was overcome with grief.  As I handed him his money at the airport, he held on to my hand for a moment and said, "I was your enemy, but now I am your friend."

On the flight back I felt more alive than I had in years.  If that cab driver in Ho Chi Minh City could hold my hand as a friend, then maybe I could be my friend as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment