Thursday, February 3, 2011

Let Your Light Shine

I meet too many gifted people each week who are afraid to trust their gifts, to embrace their talents and let their light shine.  You may be one of them.  I know I was.  Who am I to teach English? I used to ask myself.  I'm not smart enough for that, and I don't have the confidence to speak in front of all those people. But I was and I did.  Then I had to face a new set of fears.  Who am I to talk to dead people?  Why me?  There's nothing special about me.  Why are they coming to me?
Why not?
We are all given gifts.  Everyone one of you reading this has been given a special gift, and it's your destiny to use it.  Who are you to say no to this?  As Marianne Williamson says, "Who are you not to shine?"


Even the bible supports this:

Corinthians 12:4-11 

There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord.  There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
  Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,  to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.


And Romans 12 says:


We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;  if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.


Do not doubt yourself anymore.  Embrace your talents, make good use of your time, shut off the tape recorder in your head that says, "I can't" and replace it with "I can, I will, I am." 


Each of us has been attributed a piece of this planet to light up with our love, our service and our talent.  Don't look at with fear or ego.  Look at your destiny as just that -- your God given right to light up the place where you live.  
We're all light workers and together we can make the world shine on.


PS. I highly recommend The Alchemist  by Paulo Coehlo for inspired reading on learning to following your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment