Your intuitive ability is a muscle and just as we need to exercise our body and mind to strengthen and improve them, we also need to exercise our intuitive abilities if we hope to reach our full potential. Following are a few fun exercises you can try to increase your intuitive muscle.
1) Place two stones in a bag -- one black and one white. Ask yourself a yes or no question, close your eyes and pull a stone. Black means no; white means yes.
2) Before meeting someone new, say their name aloud three times and try to picture what the person will look like. Try to guess hair color, height and what color shirt he or she will be wearing.
3) When you wake up in the morning, take a few moments to center yourself before your feet hit the floor. Breathe deeply and imagine the day unfolding as you hope it will. Try to guess how many emails you will have when you get to work. Ask your intuition who will be the first person to call you. When you get in the shower, imagine the water becoming a healing shower of white light and feel it cleansing you of any and all negative energy from within and without.
4) When you go to bed, take a few moments to go over your day and review where you followed your hunches correctly and where you didn't. Make note of your feelings throughout the day. Were you given intuitive nudges? Did you follow them all? Select a crystal to place under your pillow and ask your guides to give you instruction while you sleep.
5) Lie down, close your eyes and scan your body. Mentally focus on each body part, then your organs and then your chakras. Notice if you feel any blockages or see any colors. Gray, black or brown areas can often indicate a blockage. When you're done scanning your body, imagine a beam of white light going through your body beginning at the head and slowly scanning down to your feet cleaning and clearing away any negativity, blockages or imbalance.
6) Create an imaginary sacred space. For me, it's a crystal cave. My crystal cave is an amethyst geode looking giant cave at the top of a large mountain. Inside my cave are two pillows, candles, and a crystal clear bridge that leads to the other side. Some people imagine a temple as their sacred space, some pick the beach. Others create a boat for themselves. Be creative and have fun. But make sure to create a space that you can go to quickly and easily for information, advice and meditation.
7) Learn how to ground yourself. Imagine tree roots coming out of the soles of your feet and going hundreds of miles down into the earth. Or you can picture an anchor line coming out of your lower back and going deep into the earth to ground you. If you're really feeling disconnected, walk outside by yourself. Breathe the air, take your shoes off and feel the ground beneath you, touch the grass, flowers and trees and really listen to the sounds of the birds and insects around you.
8) Practice opening and closing your chakras. You always open from the root to the crown and close from the crown to the root. Some common visualization techniques include imagining flowers opening and closing or windows or doors. Some people like to picture lights coming on and shining out. Others visualize shades opening up. I like to remind people that our chakra centers sit inside our bodies and shine out in front of us and behind us, so don't forget to visualize the colors shining out both in front of and behind you.
9) Think of a friend you haven't talked to in awhile. Picture that friend in her home. Send her the thought, "Call me." Picture the words and send them right to her head. Then visualize this person sitting down on a chair or couch in her home and picking up the phone to call you. If this person calls you within three days of this exercise, it means you're a good sender of information. If you call someone and they say to you, "I was just thinking about you!" That means you're a good receiver. Most psychics are either a strong sender or receiver.
10) Practice meditation every day. Take at least 10 minutes to sit in silence, breathing deeply and going within to feel centered and in touch with your higher self.
11) Join an intuitive development circle. Check out your local metaphysical store or Unity Church for classes. If you have four or more like minded friends, start your own circle. Begin each circle with a grounding and white light protection exercise. Then open your chakras and practice different techniques such as psychometry, muscle testing, automatic writing, and pendulum work.
12) Get in touch with your nutrition. Pay attention to foods that seem to deplete you of energy and to foods that make you feel good. Drink lots and lots of water.
13) Get a dream journal and write down your dreams each morning.
14) Practice guided meditation techniques to meet your guides and angels.
15) If you need help making a difficult decision, go to your imaginary sacred space and picture two or three doors. Let's say that you've been offered a job in California and New York, but you don't know which one to take. In your sacred space, picture two doors. On one, it says, "California" and on the other, it says, "New York." Tell yourself, "When I open the California door, I will see what that choice will bring me." Imagine yourself opening that door and let your mind go. What do you see? How do you feel? Pay attention to everything. Even if you just see a color, that means something. Green means growth, for example, whereas red can mean passion and energy. Repeat with the New York door.
And, lastly, don't forget to read! Read, read, read everything that interests you on the subject. For some of my favorite books on intuitive development, click here. Practice, practice, practice and awaken the intuitive you're being called to become!