Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Things that Go Bump in the Night

This morning my four-year-old daughter told me that she was awoken last night and came hurrying down the hall to our bedroom.  She saw my husband and me sleeping, and then she saw the adjoining bathroom door open on its own and heard a male voice say, "Good job."

I didn't know what to make of this.  It sounded spooky and she was a bit scared by it and wanted to know who it was.  I told her it was probably her guardian angel telling her she was doing a good job.

Our home is often active at night.  After our dog passed away, my daughters all told stories of seeing her prancing through their bedroom.  One daughter has complained three times of seeing a witch with a green face.  When she saw The Wizard of Oz for the first time this spring, she sprang to her feet when she saw the wicked witch with the green face and said, "I am strong and I will fight you!"  Since then, she hasn't complained of seeing the woman with the green face.  Another daughter said she saw her angel in her bedroom one night.  She described him as being hugely tall. "His head hit the ceiling."  She said he had tanned, dark skin and bright white wings and that he told her his name was Odin.  About six months after my mother-in-law passed, my oldest said, "I love seeing nana at night, but she keeps waking me up."

I want to make it clear that my children do not know what I do for a living.  They know me as a teacher and nothing more.  I never discuss any of this paranormal "stuff" in front of them.  Still, it's there.

I'm sure many of you reading this -- with or without kids -- have had similar experiences at night.  Paranormal State -- one of my favorite shows -- calls the hours between midnight and 3 am dead time.  Others call 3:00 am the witching hour.  It's believed that the night is when the veil between the words is more flexible.  I've read some "scientific" explanations for this -- something about electromagnetic something or other -- but I believe we are more apt to have paranormal experiences at night because it's the only time in our day that there's silence, that we're slowed down, and let's face it -- we all feel vulnerable when we sleep.  How many of you like sleeping with your toes peeking out of the sheets?

So what can we do about it?  Well, that depends.  When I was growing up, I don't think I ever once slept through the night.  I would barricade myself with stuffed animals, I'd beg and plead to keep a light on and, when I got to high school, I was finally allowed to have a TV in my room.  I'd sleep with it on and was rarely disturbed.  If your child is frequently woken up, let him or her sleep with a light on -- maybe one in the hallway.  Make a dreamcatcher with them and explain that this will catch all the bad dreams.  Buy them a set of worry dolls and help them to release their day and let go of their worries.  Make "monster spray"  by pouring holy water or spring water into a spray bottle and adding sage and other essential oils.  Let your child spray under the bed and in the closet before going to sleep.  Get into the habit of saying nightly prayers with your child.  All of this will remind your child that he has control, that she can discourage anything from coming to her at night.

And if you're older and still being woken up?  Imagine a huge lightbulb over your head and picture yourself "turning down your light."  Sleep with a crystal by your bed.  Some believe that if you sleep with a glass of water on your bedside table it will catch negative energies.  Ask your angels to protect you from being woken up and to ensure for you a good night's sleep.

What I believe that many lost souls wander at night.  If it's true that souls are given three days after they die before they have to cross, and if you think about all the people who die throughout the world each day, is it any wonder we aren't sleeping at night?

Let me explain.  Those of us who are highly intuitive -- whether we know it or not or are open to it or not -- have a light around us that's much brighter than others'.  Confused, newly crossed souls and earth bounds are attracted to that light like a moth to a flame.  They instinctively know that the light will set them free.  So they come towards it.  All you have to do is either consciously dim your light down or deal with an entourage in your room every night.  Not fun.  Have you ever watched Lisa Williams' show Life Among the Dead?  In between readings, she wears a hat to symbolically dim her light and let the spirit world know that she's off duty.

Try these tips tonight and hopefully you will sleep well!

1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle when I heard you mention, on the show, that you used to sleep completely surrounded by stuffed animals. I used to do the same thing! The downside was when I would wake up at night to find that one or more had fallen on the floor. I had to weigh my concern for THEM against my concern for myself if I got out of bed to save them Lol.

    ReplyDelete